The Calgary Girls Choir has been providing exceptional choral training along with performance and touring opportunities since 1995. We are an award-winning and internationally renowned choir that inspires and empowers young women through music.
For over two decades, hundreds of girls have achieved a high level of artistry and confidence. Today, singers continue to thrive under the leadership of experienced and nationally renowned Artistic Director, Elaine Quilichini, professional accompanists, and are supported by a dedicated administration team and passionate Board of Directors. Quality repertoire and a child-centered approach are the foundations of our program. Through the cultivation of strong vocal technique, beautiful tone, and musical literacy, our choirs consistently deliver performances that are both inspiring and moving. Confidence, poise, passion for music and friendships are nurtured through a shared love of singing. Rehearsals take place once a week for each level.
Our Singers Receive:
- Training in vocal excellence and artistry, taught through fun and challenging repertoire using the Kodály approach
- Exciting performance opportunities, locally, nationally and internationally; including concerts with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra and the Calgary Civic Symphony; and commissions of new works by Canadian and International composers. Recent tours: San Francisco (April 2017), Victoria (April 2018) and Wales/England (July 2018).
- Development of important life skills such as confidence, integrity, leadership, teamwork and discipline.
- A supportive and close-knit community where lifelong friendships develop and each individual singer is nurtured.
- Community outreach opportunities that create service-minded and civically-engaged citizens.
- Global awareness which is developed through singing in foreign languages, telling stories (through song) from various cultural perspectives, and world travel.
Reputation for Excellence
Since its founding in 1995 by Artistic Director Elaine Quilichini, the Calgary Girls Choir (CGC) has inspired girls and young women to meet the creative challenge of choral music performance. The CGC is recognized nationally and internationally for its dazzling performances and many accomplishments: first-place awards and major prizes at Canadian and international competitions; prestigious performances at the National Conferences of the American Choral Directors Association, ACCC Podium, and the Organization of American Kodály Educators; features on national television; premieres at the Banff Centre for the Arts; concerts with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra and the Calgary Civic Symphony; and commissions of new works by Canadian and international composers.
The CGC have won at the Vienna Music Festival, the Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod, and in local, provincial, and national competitions within Canada. They were awarded first place four times in the ACCC National Choral Competition!
Giving Young Women a Voice!
The CGC strives to increase the skill and knowledge of its young women while instilling in them a passion for music. The Choir itself reflects the diversity of its music—world-class and constantly evaluated.
“Only the best is good enough” has been a constant guiding principle of the Calgary Girls Choir. Choristers are encouraged to strive for excellence—a choral work ethic, that lends itself well to polishing pieces for performance, in-tune singing, vocal technique, leadership and teamwork.