Giving Young Women a Voice
The Calgary Girls Choir has been providing exceptional choral training along with performance and touring opportunities since 1995. We are an award-winning and internationally renowned choir that inspires and empowers young women through music.
For over two decades, hundreds of girls have achieved a high level of artistry and confidence. Today, singers continue to thrive under the leadership of experienced and nationally renowned Artistic Director, Elaine Quilichini, professional accompanists, and are supported by a dedicated administration team and passionate Board of Directors. Quality repertoire and a child-centered approach are the foundations of our program. Through the cultivation of strong vocal technique, beautiful tone, and musical literacy, our choirs consistently deliver performances that are both inspiring and moving. Confidence, poise, passion for music and friendships are nurtured through a shared love of singing. Rehearsals take place once a week for each level.
Our singers receive:
- Training in vocal excellence and artistry, taught through fun and challenging repertoire using the Kodály approach;
- Exciting performance opportunities, locally, nationally and internationally; including concerts with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra and the Calgary Civic Symphony; and commissions of new works by Canadian and International composers. Recent tours: San Francisco (April 2017), Victoria (April 2018) and Wales/England (July 2018).
- Development of important life skills such as confidence, integrity, leadership, teamwork and discipline
- A supportive and close-knit community where lifelong friendships develop and each individual singer is nutured;
- Community outreach opportunities that create service-minded and civically-engaged citizens;
- Global awareness which is developed through singing in foreign languages, telling stories (through song) from various cultural perspectives, and world travel.
International Reputation for Excellence
Since its founding in 1995 by Artistic Director Elaine Quilichini, the Calgary Girls Choir (CGC) has inspired girls and young women to meet the creative challenge of choral music performance. The CGC is recognized nationally and internationally for its dazzling performances and many accomplishments: first-place awards and major prizes at Canadian and international competitions; prestigious performances at the National Conferences of the American Choral Directors Association, ACCC Podium, and the Organization of American Kodály Educators; features on national television; premieres at the Banff Centre for the Arts; concerts with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra and the Calgary Civic Symphony; and commissions of new works by Canadian and international composers.
The CGC have won at the Vienna Music Festival, the Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod, and in local, provincial, and national competitions within Canada. They were awarded first place four times in the ACCC National Choral Competition! CGC Brava performed alongside Canada’s top choirs at Podium 2016, and both CGC Brava and Viva participated in the San Francisco YWCP Choral Festival in the spring of 2017.
Recent Performance Highlights
CGC Brava performed the opening concert of the 2017 International Kodály Symposium in Camrose, AB. This stunning performance included the world premiere of the commissioned work Migrations, by Alberta composer Margaret King. Performed with the renowned Borealis String Quartet, Brava thrilled the audience of music educators and conductors. In the 2018 festive season, CGC Brava did four fabulous performances with the CPO in their A Traditional Christmas. In 2018, Brava travelled to Wales and England in July, and Viva to Victoria in April.